Jan 4, 2011
Author: Sara Tollestrup. Photos: Infamous
Who better to kick off our first Rider of the Month for 2011 than emerging talent, Brooke Voigt? Originally from Fort McMurray, AB, Brooke moved to Calgary two years ago so that she could attend the National Sports School and snowboard at the same time. Though still in high school, she is making her mark in snowboarding with slopestyle wins at events like the You Look Good Rider’s Cup and FIS Nor-Ams. Brooke has also been featured in several issues of our Women’s Annual and starred in an episode of Fuel TV’s New Pollution. Keep an eye on this one because she has more rail tricks in her arsenal than most dudes.
1. What are you most looking forward to this month?
Hopefully my injuries will be all healed up, so I’m good to go for the month. I’m looking forward to some healthy boarding.
2. Do you sit down and make goals for yourself every season?
Yeah I always make goals, but I usually keep them to myself.
3. What do you remember about your first time on a snowboard?
I had a lesson, and I remember thinking I was awesome, but once my instructor left I could barely stand up on my board.
4. When did you first realize you could be a snowboarder for a living?
I don’t think there was one specific moment that hit me. I guess I’ve just always hoped I was going somewhere with snowboarding.
5. Who is the best female snowboarder of all time?
MFR, she’s a great person and a great all around boarder.
6. How do you get over a bad fall?
I try for a good recovery and try to distract myself with other things.
7. What do you do to keep from burning out?
I’ll just take a day off when I feel it’s needed. It’s hard to burn out from having fun at the hill.
8. Which women (snowboarders or not) most inspire you?
Don’t even know where to start with this one.
9. What is your guiltiest pleasure?
10. An Olympic gold medal or Best Video part award, which would you prefer and why?
Best video award because I feel there is way more opportunity for creativity. If I were able to beat out all the other video parts I think the reward would be very satisfying.
11. What is the best thing about your home mountain?
It’s walking distance from my house. I live on the same street.
12. What scares you?
13. Favourite on the road food?
Ham, lettuce, cucumber, pickle and Swiss cheese sandwich.
14. One must-have item for snowboarding?
15. Thank Yous?
To everyone who’s ever done anything for me, I’m putting it to good use. Thanks mom and dad.
Comment posting has been disabled.