May 6, 2010
Author: Sara Tollestrup/Photos: Johnathon Webster
Marie Hucal is a midwest girl from Brighton, Michigan. We first caught wind of the 18 year old Rome rider when she joined a SBC Women's crew for an editorial trip to Rossland, BC last winter. Being from the Great Lakes region of the U.S. Marie hadn't spent much time making pow turns, but she impressed us all the same and ended up with some solid shots in the mag. This year she has been putting p-tex to metal while filming handrail bangers for the upcoming Peep Show flick. Find out what Marie has on tap for this month, as well as what else is going on in the mind of this young, fun and stoked up-and-comer.
1. What are you looking forward to this month?
I'm looking forward to driving my wagon around the midwest mostly, or anywhere else it will take me to snowboard on as much different terrain as I can with a bunch of friends and riders! I'm just excited to see where I end up at the end of the month.
2. What would you like to accomplish this month?
I would like to accomplish some more filming to make a nice video part, I wasn't quite as consistent last month as I wanted to be. Mainly I just want to be strapped in on my board as much as possible.
3. Which female snowboarder(s) did you look up to when you were growing up?
I looked up to [Laura] Hadar a lot, she was my coach at HCSC one year, totally motivated me to keep moving.
4. Best female snowboard video part?
Marie-France Roy's part in No Correct Way.
5. What is your pre-shred routine?
I like to sleep in my first layers, then drink a coffee or Red Bull, and I always eat a substantial breakfast to make it through the day. Rub on some tiger balm then throw my boots on.
6. What is the best way to avoid getting injured?
Whenever you find yourself in a sketchy situation, remind yourself that its the stupid stuff you usually get hurt worst on. I bombed a hill of leaves and found that out the hard way!
7. Which trick could you use a little help with?
8. Where would you like to go snowboarding that you've never been to before?
It would be sweet to make it to New Zealand someday, I heard it's beautiful.
9. How do you motivate yourself to go out and ride when the weather is bad?
I don't mind whether its sunny or sucky, I'll go out as long as there is snow on the ground. The best days to ride a resort are rain days!
10. Who is your favourite person to snowboard with?
My buddy Cameron Strand.
11. What is your favourite song?
Ray Charles - "I Got a Woman."
12. Other than snowboarding what are you most passionate about?
Enjoying time with friends and family. My favorite thing to do is watch the sunset and just be outside and experience new things.
13. Best thing about being a girl?
Using "that time of the month" as an excuse at a street spot.
14. Best thing about being a snowboarder?
Getting out and seeing the world, and meeting a handful of really fantastic people.
15. Thank yous?
My parents, Peter Harvieux, Peep Show, Syndicate, Rome, Holden, Ashbury and all my great friends.
Comment posting has been disabled.