Jan 22, 2012
Author: Ilissa Maiatico
The sixth Annual Billabong Flaunt It series kicked off at Blue Mountain’s Badlands terrain park yesterday. Under bluebird skies, over 20 girls competed in slopestyle and rail jam contest. With a $2,000 cash purse, TTR points on the line, plus an all expense paid trip the series finale in Tahoe up for grabs, everyone was eager to impress the judges.
London, Ontario’s own Leanna King threw down several stylish methods to get the crowd cheering. Meanwhile, Natalie Allport put down a Backside 5 to secure herself a spot on the podium. Both Victoria Marshall and Samm Denena also rode strong all day long.
After lunchtime the rail jam event got underway. With a flat bar, tube and down rail to choose from, top points were awarded for use of all three features. Ohio’s own Jennifer Cusick threw down a nice Tailslide 270 out to take second place, meanwhile Samm Denena’s 180 on to Frontside 3 off of the down rail earned her the top spot. Samm also won the slopestyle event, so she'll be making her way to Tahoe in March to compete in the Flaunt It finals.
The next Flaunt It stop is on Febraury 11 at Lake Louise, AB. The 2012 Billabong Flaunt It series presented by Sony Ericsson is sponsored by Contour, SBCWomen.com, Snowboarder Magazine, TTR World Snowboard Tour, Dakine, Von Zipper and Nixon. For more information visit: http://www.billabongflauntit.com
1. Samm Denena, $700 + flight and accomdations to the finals (Roxy, 32, Etnies, Icarus Shreducation, Kahuna Surf Shop, Dialogue headwear, Nibz Bandanaz)
2. Victoria Marshall, $500 (Rome, Billabong, Von Zipper)
3. Natalie Allport, $300 (Skull Candy, Top of the World, Du Rails)
4. Jennifer Cusick (Flow, Spy, Capital Park, Team 43, Team Adams)
5. Kiersten Higginson (Salomon, Bonfire, Spy, Simple Snowboarding)
Rail Jam Winners
1. Samm Denena, $250 (Roxy, 32, Etnies, Icarus Shreducation, Kahuna Surf Shop, Dialogue headwear, Nibz Bandanaz)
2. Jennifer Cusick, $100 (Flow, Spy, Capital Park, Team 43, Team Adams)
3. Natalie Allport, $50 (Skull Candy, Top of the World, Du Rails)
Nixon Style Award
Genny Ross (Nikita, Niche snowboards, EQ Boardshop, Tits Deep)
Dakine Best Trick
Natalie Allport, $100, Backside 5 (Skull Candy, Top of the World, Du Rails)
Rail Jam Winners: Jennifer Cusick (2nd), Samm Denena (1st) and Natalie Allport (3rd).
Slopestyle Winners: Jennifer Cusick (4th), Victoria Marshall (2nd), Samm Denena (1st),
Natalie Allport (2nd) and Kiersten Higginson (5th).