Feb 14, 2012
Author: Ilissa Maiatico, Photos: Andrew Strain & Todd Easterbrook
There’s much truth to the old saying, “Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.” Or atleast it won’t feel like work. BC’s own Jen McGoldrick has been riding for better part of 16 years and currently holds down more shred jobs than seems humanly possible. Based in Whistler and the North Shore Mountains, Jen's current resume includes: Head Coach for Rugged Riders’ Untracked camps, Freestyle coach for ParaSnowboard National Team member Zach Beaumount, Head Coach for Camp of Champion’s Mini Shred program, plus a contributor to the Whistler Parks blog. If that wasn't enough, she's also a member of the Rip Curl snowboard team and is a FIS/IJC Certified Snowboard Judge. Before all this, Jen worked her way up in the snowboard world, clocking countless hours as park staff for both Cypress and Whistler. Here’s her High 5ives!
Perks to Whistler living:
1. Living five minutes away from the gondola.
2. Backyard access to backcountry terrain.
3. Riding from mid-November to the end of July.
4. Summer life. Riding bikes on the valley trail, skateboarding and swimming at the lakes.
5. Locals discount, mate.
On being a coach:
1. Stoke is contagious; I’m just as stoked as the campers when they learn new tricks.
2. I’m always demonstrating and breaking down different tricks so it keeps things fresh and helps me develop my own riding.
3. I have fun everyday. My ‘job’ is more fun than most people’s vacations.
4. Getting paid to ride Camp Of Champions is pretty awesome.
5. Board meetings
Reasons to attend Rugged Rider's events:
1. Dance parties.
2. Girls have more fun. Truth.
3. Coaches will push you to try different things and learn new tricks.
4. Meet new friends to ride with.
5. Everyone loves free stuff!
On riding her Rip Curl:
1. Product: Rip Curl makes so many different technical products that look good too. It’s cool to see the process that goes into developing pieces from mountain ware, goggles and clothing to watches and wetsuits. Product testing and giving riders feedback is always fun. Just picked up my 2013 samples, stoked!
2. People: The other team riders, everyone at head office and the shop staff are all awesome people who love to shred.
3. Progression: I’m stoked to be part of an established brand that continues to grow.
4. Participation: I’m really excited to have Rip Curl as a returning sponsor of my freeride camp, Rugged Riders Untracked.
5. Party: I love to surf and make an annual trip to check out the Rip Curl Stew surf comp in Tofino. The surfing and parties get better every year.
Best surf spots:
1. Cox Bay, Tofino
2. Piha, New Zealand
3. Oceanside, California
4. Indian Beach, Oregon
5. Ambelside, West Vancouver
Sponsors: RipCurl, Salomon Snowboards, Cypress Mountain, Second Wave
Just your typical day in the office. Andrew Strain photo.
All work and all play. Andrew Strain photo.
Yeah, this is definately better than most people's vacation. Tood Easterbrook photo.